Shareholder & Senior Trial Counsel
2601 4th Ave., Floor 6
Seattle, WA 98121
As a native of the Pacific Northwest, Jim has a deep appreciation for all who work in the Maritime industry. He is passionate about delivering justice for his clients with the greatest level of empathy and respect while holding those negligent to the highest level of accountability.
Jim learned the practice of personal injury law from his father in Kent, Washington, where together they represented clients from all walks of life. During those years Jim gained respect for the problems and issues his clients faced and learned how to best counsel and represent them while achieving justice for their cause.
Jim’s practice eventually led him to the open sea and to the thousands of seamen who work to bring home the catch for companies serving the global seafood industry. Jim became trial counsel for various firms who sent their difficult cases to him when they knew the case was going to be tried to a jury. He has successfully tried 75+ personal injury jury cases, bringing his clients millions of dollars and redemption from those who had injured them.
Jim is currently an active member of the Washington State Association for Justice and the American Association for Justice. He is a member of Trial Lawyers Care (a group that contributed pro bono time to World Trade Center victims after September 11), a member of the WSAJ Disaster Relief Program (a group that contributed pro bono time to victims of the Eastern Washington wildfires) and is a frequent Moot Court Judge. He has served on the Washington State Bar Association Court Rules Committee. Jim is one of only a handful of attorneys in the Northwest who is Board Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification, a distinction which requires verifiable trial results, and a review process including testimonials by Judges and attorneys who have opposed him at trial. He is also an Associate with the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). Jim was voted “Washington State Super Lawyer” from 2012 – 2021 and was named Top 100 “Washington State Super Lawyer” in 2018, 2021, and 2022. He has achieved “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” distinction from 2012 – 2022.
Jim takes a personal interest in every client he represents. A case is not a number or a name but is an injury that could have happened to any of us. His clients are treated with the compassion and respect they deserve.
Top 100 Jury Verdicts, TopVerdict.com – 2020
American Board of Trial Advocates – inducted 2020
Washington State Top 100 Super Lawyer – 2018, 2021 & 2022
Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers Association, 2012 – 2020
Board Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in civil trial practice since 2007
Member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Plaintiff's opening statement and closing argument from Phillips v. Bush Realty trial included in Winning Openings and Closings, Washington State Association for Justice, 2009
Washington State Association for Justice (WSAJ), Eagle Member
- Golden Gate University School of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of California at Berkeley, B.A., Philosophy, 1990
- California, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1993
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 1993
- Washington, 1994
- New Jersey, 2002
- New York, 2002
- Appellate Division of The New York State Supreme Court, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2007
- Washington State Association for Justice (WSAJ), Eagle Member
- Member of the WSAJ Disaster Relief Program, a group that contributed pro bono time to victims of the Eastern Washington. Wildfires, 2015
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), Member
- Washington State Coordinator for the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification
- YMCA Youth & Government Mock Trial Judge, 2007-Present
- Moot Court Judge – AAJ's Student Trial Advocacy Competition, 2002 – Present
- Member of Ethics Committee, New York County Lawyers Association, 2003 – 2007
- Member of Trial Lawyers Care, a group that contributed pro bono time to World Trade Center victims after September 11
- Member of WSBA Court Rule Committee, 2008 – 2009
- Member of WSAJ Trial News Editorial Board, 2008 – 2018
- Member of WSAJ Nursing Home and Elder Care Section, 2011 – Present